stepcounter

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

God's Coming


The Bible starts with God coming,
     God speaking,
          God creating.

The Bible ends with  "Come."
His coming, and His working, is the source of all things, natural and spiritual.
God alone, is the Author and Sustainer of all things.

"Seek ye me, and ye shall live," says God. (Amos 5.4)
     This is an unchanging truth for all time.
          This is a promise for every moment of every day.
               On this all our life depends.

Here is the Light for every day,
the strength for every trial,
the quickening for our souls in every moment of human insufficiency.

David declares,  "I have set the Lord always before me:
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved." (Ps. 16.8)
This is the way of seeking:
there is an "Always" - an undeviating longing for that which is not yet known,
     There is a "setting before" - a concentrated focus of energies,
          God's Presence "at my right hand" is the ground of certainty,
               and "unmovableness" is the result of this commitment.

"We see through a glass darkly" (1Cor. 13.12),
     if we could only find an ever clearer vision,
          how our lives would be lifted above the uncertainties 

          that shadow human existence.

May we not have to wait until arrive in heaven to know 

the certainty of His nearness,  
and the sureness of His ever-flowing Life.
     In the midst of life let this be our unalterable commitment,
                  "I have set the Lord always before me."




1 comment: